Thursday 10 December 2015

Final essay question for feminism

'Angela Carter presents and emphasises the intense desire of women to become liberated through sexual acts in her collection of short stories The Bloody Chamber'


Using the critical anthology to support your argument, how far do these texts support or undermine this view?




-The Tiger's Bride
  • female gaze
  • male gaze
  • liberated together
  • innocence vs experience
  • she takes control and almost liberates herself
  1. Faraway castles
  2. happy endings
  3. dutiful daughter
  4. sexually promiscuous
  5. Beast like male

-'white rose'- symbol of virginity
-'one profile of his mask is the mirror image of the other, too perfect, uncanny.'- attracted & repulsed at the same time- female gaze
-'I prick my finger and so he gets his all smeared with blood'- impure and tainted
-'scare me into good behaviour'- the story from her nurse of the 'tiger man' was used to frighten her- in her childhood he was used to scare her, now he becomes her liberation
-'the day my childhood ended'- innocence vs experience
-'my frail rose, already faded'- 'faded' like her purity
-'you should give me only the same amount of money that you would give to any other woman'- offers prostitution- allows herself to be used as a sex object
-'The sight of a young lady's skin that no man has seen before'- the beast longs for visual sexual pleasure
-'prepare yourself for the sight of my master, naked'- allowing the female gaze
-'I felt my breasts ripped apart as if I suffered a marvellous wound'- she gains sexual pleasure and liberation through the sight of the beast undressed
-'unfastened my jacket'- allowing the beast his sexual pleasure as she's had hers
-'pride it was, not shame'- she isn't embarrassed, she wants to impress him
-'I felt I was at liberty for the first time in my life'- liberated herself through allowing herself to subside to her own sexual desire
-'fear of devourment'- metaphor for sex
-'I, white, shaking, raw, approaching him as if offering, in myself, the key to a peaceable kingdom in which his appetite need not be my extinction'- lamb to the slaughter- but she wants to
-'He snuffed the air, as if to smell my fear; he could not'- she isn't scared- she's embracing desire

-The Erl King
  • has sex with the erl king
  • innocence vs experience
  • liberates herself through killing him when she is experienced
  • saves herself from getting trapped by him- liberation
  1. Beast like male
  2. sexually promiscuous
  3. isolated setting
-'He lays upon me his irrevocable hand'- first contact
-'I lie at the mercy of his huge hands'- she is almost his sex slave- he can do with her as he pleases
-'I lie down on the Erl-King's creaking paillasse of straw'- again lay down for him
-'I go back and back to him'- she can't help but going back to him
-'consumed by you'- metaphor for sex- similar to the Tiger's Bride
-'I shall strangle him'- kills the person she gained sex from
-'let the birds free'- liberated through setting the other birds free and killing him 
-The Snow Child
  • subjugated
  • objectified
  • not liberated
  • raped
  • subjected to male domination
  • taken advantage of
  1. damsel in distress
  2. the evil matriarch
-'I wish I had a girl as white as snow' 'as red as blood' 'as black as that bird's feather'- his idyllic view of a woman
-'stark naked; she was a child of his desire'- his desire not hers
-'unfastened his breaches and thrust his virile member into the dead girl'- rape, she didn't want it, she isn't liberated

message- underlying material of fairy tales is that the women are sexually objectified

Carter said 'I was taking... the latent content of those traditional stories and using that; and the latent content is violently sexual.'


1 comment:

  1. Approved.

    Now add in possible quotations from the text to support your arguments, as well as quotations from critical theory where relevant.

    ReplyDelete